August 3, 2017

Blest be the Moonlight

Everyone had already left when I heard him play.

The poignant tune of the piano caught my attention. My heart skipped a beat the moment I recognized the song.

He sat tall on the bench as his slender fingers gracefully danced across the piano bars. He was as calm as the placid Greenland fields; as peaceful as the serene Himalayan mountains. He was so immersed in his own little world that he did not seem to realize my presence.

The haunting melody echoed all over the room, its feelings were perfectly conveyed. He played the song just right.

I was helplessly drawn to him.

My chest suddenly felt tight. There was a sudden surge of indescribable emotions, desperately tried to emerge and reach the surface. They trembled my lips and blurred my visions.

"You know that song," I managed to utter a coherent chain of words after he finished playing. "You know that song and you actually played it."

A bit startled, he raised his face to look at me. We gazed at each other as if we saw a mythical creature whose existence was told by one generation to the next through some late night ancestral bedtime stories.

"Yes, I know that song and I technically just played it," he replied, restating my previous words. "Why do you look so surprised?"

I daresay he already knew the answer. He just wanted to test his theory.

"It's just.." I paused. "The song is not for everyone."

He took several seconds to contemplate what my point was before giving me an "ah".

"Well, yes. I suppose we all know Chopin. We all play Liszt and we listen to Rachmaninoff. But yes, I do agree that the song I had just played earlier is not for everyone," he said. "You know the song yourself."

I slightly nodded.

"It's Luna, isn't it?"

Hearing what I said, the corners of his mouth slid upwards. His eyes twinkled. His face gleamed with contentment. 

I was silently forced to hold my breath.

"It is," he replied. Sitting on the piano bench still, he looked straight into my eyes after bowing his head in respect. "Blest be the moonlight."

No comments

© La Valse des Mots
Maira Gall